Important Winter Fuel Delivery Reminders
A checklist of important safety measures
There are a lot of things we do in the Tri-County region of Michigan to prepare for winter. As a homeowner and propane or fuel oil customer, there are a few things you can do to safeguard your home and make it easier and safer for Lansing Ice & Fuel to deliver to you.
Everyone is safer when you keep your walkways and driveways clear. You’ll also want to pay special attention to your fuel levels, as your usage is likely to increase sharply in the coming weeks. On the days leading up to, during, and following a winter storm, you’ll need to be even more vigilant.
Follow these steps to protect yourself, your family, and the Lansing Ice & Fuel delivery team this winter season:
- If you have a propane tank, help make it visible by attaching a brightly-colored flag to the top of it. This will greatly help our delivery drivers to position their trucks.
- Remove any snow or ice that may have accumulated along your walkways and driveways, and make sure our delivery crew has safe access to your property.
- If you’re one of our heating oil customers, regularly check to make sure that your fill pipe is clear and completely accessible.
- If you’re one of our propane customers, clear a safe path to your propane tank. You’ll also need to clean off the tank itself. Use a broom instead of a shovel on the tank. A shovel could puncture your tank and cause a leak. Also, be sure to regularly check your vents and flues for obstructions. Any obstruction could lead to a build-up of carbon monoxide in your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious medical emergency and can be fatal. Get in the habit of testing your carbon monoxide detectors monthly and replacing the batteries in them every six months. Check the manufacturer’s guidelines to see how often to replace the whole unit (on average, it’s every 5 to 7 years).
- Carefully monitor your fuel levels if you’re not an automatic propane delivery or auto-fill heating oil customer. Your usage is likely to increase (perhaps a great deal) as the temperatures drop. You don’t want to run the risk of a runout. Make sure to call Lansing Ice & Fuel for delivery well before you need it.
- You can make your life easier by signing up for automatic delivery. You’ll be far less likely to have a fuel run-out.
- If you’re a propane customer, make sure everyone in your household knows how to identify and respond to a leak. Remember: Always trust your nose. If you smell rotten eggs, you probably have a propane leak. The minute you think you smell something, it’s time to act. Click here for detailed instructions.
Lansing Ice & Fuel is a fifth-generation family-owned business that has been operating for over 110 years in mid-Michigan. We offer our customers fair prices and a quality product. Our employees live locally and are committed to safety and great service.
Contact Lansing Ice & Fuel today to learn more. Give us a chance, and we’ll make you a customer for life!