What Is Propane Gas?
Some Facts & Figures
There are so many ways propane can enhance your home and your quality of life. It’s versatile, efficient, and one of the cleanest fuel options we have. Propane can run a variety of appliances inside and outside your Lansing area home. It makes you a better cook by offering a level of precise temperature control an electric range simply can’t match. It can heat the water for your showers as well as your pool or hot tub. It can even power your clothes dryer faster and more energy efficient than electricity and leave you with fewer wrinkles. And if there’s a power outage, propane can keep the appliances in your home up and running by fueling a backup generator.
Propane appliances run efficiently, so they’re extremely cost-effective—more so than their electric counterparts. That means using propane is good for both your budget and the environment. And because propane is a plentiful resource created here in the US, its price is less susceptible to geopolitical events. And there is no need to worry it will ever be in short supply.
You know what propane can do, but do you know what propane is? Let’s take a closer look at propane.
What Is Propane Gas?
Propane is sometimes called liquefied petroleum gas which is sometimes shortened to LP gas or LPG. It’s a byproduct of natural gas processing and petroleum refining. It’s often compressed and stored as a liquid. It is non-toxic and colorless. Propane is a versatile fuel that can be used for heating, water heating, cooking, and so much more. When it’s used as a fuel for vehicles, it’s called propane Autogas.
You’re familiar with how much propane can do in and around your home. And now you know what propane gas is. Here are five more facts about propane that you might find interesting:
- More than 90% of propane is produced in the USA. That means using propane reduces our country’s dependency on foreign oil.
- Propane is a more efficient source of energy than electricity. It takes less propane than electricity to run comparable appliances. For example, some propane furnaces are as much as 95% efficient. However, electric heat pumps become less efficient when the outside temperatures drop towards zero degrees.
- Propane has a great safety track record. If there’s a leak, propane gas won’t harm the surrounding soil, water, or any living creatures. It’s non-toxic.
- Nearly 95% of America’s professional chefs use a propane range because it gives them the precision and instant temperature control they need to cook great food.
- The freezing point of propane is -44 degrees Fahrenheit. That means you don’t have to worry about even the harshest winter day causing the propane in your propane tank to freeze.
Make Lansing Ice & Fuel Your Propane Provider
You can trust your propane delivery to Lansing Ice & Fuel. We’re a fifth-generation family-owned business that has been operating for over 110 years in mid-Michigan. We offer our customers fair prices, quality products, and superior customer service.
Contact us today to find out more about the propane services we offer.